Sunday, October 31, 2010

My BIG Bathroom Sign

Oh I am so happy.  My bathroom sign turned out perfectly.  I practiced making a sign first before I attempted the big one.  You can see how I did it here.
I have wanted to make a big sign since the day I saw my blogging friend Michelle’s Nantucket sign at her blog Emerald Cove.  I know you want to see it so go here.
I am a dental hygienist.  Bathroom art is a hard one.  So I just went with what I know.  Recently I posted about my $5 Wall Art.  I took a photo of our toothbrushes.  Printed it and stuck it in a cheapo matted frame.
IMG_6139
I had the perfect idea for a sign to go with it.
I bought a huge board.
IMG_6114
White washed it.
IMG_6117
Dry brushed it.
IMG_6118
Painted over it with watered down brown paint.
IMG_6120
And sanded it lightly.
IMG_6126
The dry brushing gave it texture under the watered down brown paint and the sanding softened and aged it all. 


I used these paints.

paint.bmp

I was asked how I paint my stencils.

IMG_6145 

I use my favorite stencil brush and put a light coat of paint on it which I dab onto a plate a few times before I use it.  If you get too much paint on at once it will bleed under your stencil.  I also hold my stencil down in the area that I am working on.  I make them with paper so they are just laying flat on the board with only the edges taped. 
Now to show you one of my favorite projects ever…….
IMG_6138
It goes perfectly with my toothbrush art and my son should  never forget to brush his teeth now. 
IMG_6140

IMG_6142

IMG_6143
As soon as I come up with the right wording for my family room, I am making another one of these.  I might have a sign addiction now. 

Tracy
Linking to
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Make it 4 Monday @ Cottage Instincts
Before and After @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Power of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

Show and Tell @ My Romantic Home

Remodelaholic’s Anonymous @ Remodelaholic

Thumbnail image for DIY Project Party

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails