Sunday, January 2, 2011

Photography For Dummies and White Balance

Are you new to DSLR photography like me?  Then I recommend you buy one of books for Dummies like I did.  You can usually find one for your particular camera or even just a Digital SLR book for Dummies is helpful too.  I tried to read my manual that came with my camera.  I felt like it was in a foreign language.  I must be a Dummy because I could understand this book.

The book is made for many different cameras.  I bought mine at Barnes and Noble and I know you can order them online.  I like ordering from Amazon. 

An easy thing to learn about your camera is white balance settings.

You can either leave your camera on auto or adjust your white balance by selecting the proper symbol by pushing the button circled below.

Untitled

To get here.

Here is the same shot taken with all of the different settings. 

Auto

IMG_2705

Daylight

IMG_2706

Shade

IMG_2707

Cloudy

IMG_2708

Tungsten

IMG_2709

Fluorescent

IMG_2710

Flash

IMG_2711

I didn’t take a custom white balance shot.  I did learn how to do it, but I am waiting for my White Balance card to arrive so I can do it properly. 

I usually use tungsten in this room.  The sun is bright today and you can’t tell as much difference between the auto and the tungsten right now, but in the evening you really can.  At night is when I think the custom white balance will be more helpful as well. 

Try to take photos with different white balance settings during the day and evening and see what you think.  I highly recommend the book too.  There is one for digital photography as well if you have a point and shoot.  It helps you realized all the things your camera’s capabilities.

Tracy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails