Saturday, April 30, 2011

My Photography Hobby Paid Off

My day started out eating breakfast with my husband’s family at Cracker Barrel.  My lazy tired husband slept in and didn’t join us.  He had some relatives in from Colorado.

fam

Not too long after a long leisurely breakfast and goodbyes I received a phone call from one of my friends that works with JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).  She said she needed a photographer and asked if I would be interested in photographing Bret Michaels (from Poison) a the hospital visiting sick kids today.   Ummmm YES!!!!  I would be a fool to say no right?

  I was nervous.  Not to meet him, but because I wanted to give the foundation good pics and because I am a beginner I always worry.  I think indoor shots are harder and it was an event not a sit down and pose photo session.

Bret has had diabetes since he was a small child and this foundation is near and dear to his heart.  He was in town for a benefit concert for JDRF and wanted to visit the sick kids at the hospital first. 

Did I get a photo with him?  Ummmm YES!

meandbretmichaels

Did I love following him around taking his pic?  Ummm YES!!!  It was such a great experience.  The man is super super nice and so down to earth. 

While we waited for Bret this guy gave me the thumbs up because he liked my camera.  I liked him.

IMG_9019

I felt such a bond with the kids.  I was so in my comfort zone talking to them. 

Bret finally made it and here he is coming down the hall.

IMG_9041

I know the grown ups were more excited than the kids because we grew up listening to him.  You have never seen so many giddy nurses. 

One of the first things he did was sing this kid’s guitar.

IMG_9067

Here he is sporting his future rock star look.

IMG_9150

And then this kid’s cast.

IMG_9072

He talked to everyone about his emergency appendectomy followed by a brain hemorrhage and then a  coma. He was in a coma just last April.   He also talked about growing up with diabetes. 

He answered questions.

IMG_9101

IMG_9125

IMG_9112

IMG_9090

And signed T-shirts and bandanas.

IMG_9133

IMG_9078

IMG_9147

He autographed this kid’s cd cover.

IMG_9080

He spent one one one time with the kids.

IMG_9095

And then he headed to some rooms to visit patients that weren’t able to join everyone.

IMG_9178

IMG_9197-1

IMG_9210

I fell in love with this sweet girl.  My heart melted at the sight of her.

BeautifulGirl

prettygirl2

His last stop was a little baby.

IMG_9217

Here’s some solo shots of him.

bretmichaels

bretmichaels2_edited-2

bretmichaels3

I am so glad my photography hobby allowed me to participate in such a great event.  This opportunity confirms what I preach.  Push yourself and practice what you love.  You never know when it might just pay off.

sig

Linking to

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors


Sunday Showcase @ Under The Table and Dreaming

Sweet Shot Day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails