Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ballard Bird Knock Off Attempt

The Ballard Catalog had some bird ornaments that caught my eye.
HC659_main
I thought I could easily make them myself. 
I made a bird but it wasn’t very easy and it didn’t turn out quite like I had in mind.  I do have to say it is cuter than the original 3 for $1 birds I found at Dollar Tree.
IMG_6333
I had to pluck the feathers off to reveal a plastic bird form that looked more like a duck body.  I pulled out the bug eyes and attempted to cover the bird in burlap. 
I couldn’t get it to work.  So I went to plan B.  I covered the bird in paper sack colored tissue paper using Mod Podge and then made the tail and wings with wire and twine.
IMG_6334
I will show you several more views of the before and after.
Before
IMG_6326 IMG_6327 IMG_6328 IMG_6331
After
IMG_6335
IMG_6336
IMG_6339
Side by side.
IMG_6341
I am undecided if I like this project or not.  What do you think?  Is it worth making more and burning my fingers on hot glue? 

Tracy

Linking to
Before and After @ Savvy Southern Style
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails