Monday, April 2, 2012

Backyard Flowerbeds

The Texas panhandle has experienced a beautiful and warm spring this year so far.  Last year we had high winds and fire.  I took advantage of the weather the last three weekends and whipped my flower beds into shape.

flowerbed4

I mentioned earlier that I removed the weeds and grasses that were taking over, tilled the hard dry dirt, and added gypsum and soil mender to improved the dirt.

flowerbed25

I bought some perennials to add to the existing ones.  I am hoping to eventually have the beds so full of flowers that there will be no room for weeds.

flowerbed8

The beds are long and go around our fence which I just recently learned from my neighbor was built in 1968.  My husband keeps patching it and it keeps standing. 

flowerbed16

The grass needed to be cut but at least it is growing.  We have lots of bare spots I have seeded.  Our yard is a pretty good size so these beds are long.

flowerbed15

This area was full of dandelions. 

flowerbed13

IMG_8476

Izzy

20120401-IMG_8744

keeps stealing our small landscape timbers.  We are missing 2 that we can’t find anywhere.  Maybe she ate them like she ate my shoe today.  I am still mad at her for that one. 

The bed follows the back fence and is divided by a sidewalk.

flowerbed18_edited-2

The grapevine is starting to get leaves.  It frames my chalkboard sign nicely.

flowerbed21

We added 15 bags of mulch to keep Izzy out of the mud, the weeds from growing, the ground moist and maybe the snails won’t like crawling on it. 

flowerbed22

flowerbed17

flowerbed23

flowerbed7

There is a small bed that follows one side of the back of our  house. 

flowerbed20

I am not crazy about the scalloped edging, but my tired body says leave well enough alone. 

flowerbed19

I have my garden tools accessible if I find a weed,

flowerbed24

but hopefully now it is just time for our family to enjoy hanging out in the backyard. 

IMG_8662 copy IMG_8661_edited-1

IMG_8626 copy

IMG_8643 copy

Happy Spring!

sig

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails