Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Handmade Ornament With A Special Tradition Inside

About five years ago I started a special Christmas tradition for my son.  On Christmas Eve my husband or myself write our son a letter summarizing the past year and how lucky we are to have him in our life.  He looks forward to reading his letter on Christmas morning.  I place the letter in a decorated box that I keep on the tree. 

His box was a little small so I made a new one this year.

IMG_0268 

You can buy the boxes from any craft store and paint them or use scrapbook paper, ink and Mod Podge like I did. 

IMG_0270

I covered the box with the Mod Podge and paper.  After it dried I  stamped my favorite tree stamp on the front.

IMG_0271

I used the Distress Ink around the edges too because I like things to look old and worn and it hides any of my mistakes I made when cutting the paper.

I punched a hole in the top with an ice pick and pushed some jute into it and tied a knot.

IMG_0285

Now the box is ready for a sentimental letter to my son.  You could also do this for your husband. 

IMG_0286

Put it on the tree and it’s ready for a Christmas morning memory.

IMG_0287

IMG_0290

IMG_0292

I keep a bigger box under the tree for past years letters.  My son likes to read them when we put up the tree. 

I hope you enjoyed my Christmas craft and tradition.

Tracy

Linking to

Christmas Craft Linky Party @ Censational Girl

Ornament Party

Boring to Better @ Savvy Southern Style

I Made it Without My Hubby @Shanty2Chic

Visit thecsiproject.com

Show and Tell @ My Romantic Home

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots and Jello

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails