Sunday, February 7, 2010

Free Decorating

For the last two weekends I have been using stuff around my house to redecorate. It seems more times than not I buy scrapbook paper when I go to a craft store even if I don't need it. I am drawn to the prints and they scream buy me. I finally put some of them to good use today. I have had 2 boxes for probably 20 years. I use them to store extra candles and to decorate my fireplace hearth. I think I bought them at Pier One. I have been wanting to repaper them for awhile and finally took the plunge. I love when a project turns out better than you even hoped it would. I really like them.

Here is one of the before boxes with an after box.


Here is the before box close up. It had a world map print and an ugly tassel.


These are the after pics. The paper edges didn't meet up as well as I wanted them to so I used some paint to distress and age the edges. I think it makes the boxes look more interesting. I replaced those ugly tassels with a monogram which can easily be removed for a cleaner look. I painted the box lids off white and stained them and then distressed the edges with paint.




Last weekend I came across Susie Harris' blog that shows how she made the Pottery Barn typewriter wall art. Her project is amazing and I love it, but I wasn't brave enough to make it. Instead I just made one little "D" block using her instructions. I also repainted a frame and printed the Pottery Barn pic to put in it.




Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



DIY Day @ ASPTL

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous patterns! Those boxes are absolutely stunning. Love the embellishes as well.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS to show us!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your boxes, Tracy! Who says storage can't be pretty? I like to buy pretty scrap book papers, too, even if I don't have a project in mind. I think it is always good to have some on hand and I usually only buy a few at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love how everything turned out. It's absolutely beautiful!
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the D!! How perfect and cute. Way to really make that project your own. The boxes are great too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and I appreciate each and every one of them. Thanks for taking the time to drop me a line.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails