Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Chair

I have been inspired.  I have always wanted to learn to reupholster.  I have read many blogs about it and I was ready to give it a try.  I grabbed the first chair I saw on Craigslist for $20. Our thrift stores are not so great.  They seem really high priced.  I am not so sure it was an awesome deal.  My husband went to pick it up for me at an orphanage. People donate things for them to sell.  He said he heard the lady in charge of selling the chair yelling yah whooooo as he walked away with my “bargain”.  He could hear her through the closed door. He thinks she was dancing too.  I am so grateful that not only did he pick it up for me, but  he also helped me remove most of the staples.  He has strong hands.  It is a tough job.  He used a screwdriver that he filed thinner on the end so it could slide under the staples and then he used pliers to pull out the ones that stayed stuck. 

So here is the “bargain” chair and here is my nice husband helping me out.005

002

Doesn’t he look so happy!?!?!

So apparently the upholstery fabric  isn’t the original.  The lovely maroon was professionally done.  A cat did some handy work on the front of the chair by the legs. 

Here is the original fabric.

 008

 

009

So I was feeling intimidated and scared.  Just look at it.  Doesn’t it scare you too?  I bought a drop cloth to use for the fabric because I didn’t want to invest much into my experiment.  I don’t think I would use it again.  It is kinda scratchy.  So the chair sat and sat and sat for 2 months.  Taunting me.  Making me feel like I  should list it back on Craigslist for free.  I couldn’t stand looking at it anymore and I had a little time off during Spring break. We had another blizzard in Texas.  So it was time to tackle the chair. I did it!  It isn’t beautiful, but it looks better than it did.  I am very proud of myself.  I learned a lot and I can now say that I know how to reupholster.  Here she is.

002

I don’t really have room for it so we are going to try it in my son’s room.  It sits in front of his armoire that has his television and video games in it.

011

 

I am regretting using the taupe cording.  I should have used off white.  My husband likes it.  It is staying for now.  My hands are very sore and tired.  I am not touching this chair for a long time.

Here are some other views.

003

007

008I think I am the most proud of sewing the cushion cover.  I can whip up a pillow, but sewing a perfect fit for a cushion is not easy and takes a lot of thought.  I can’t even explain how I did it.  I just know I did.  Here is a close up.

009

And just to see what it would look like with a different throw pillow….

012

Thanks for sharing my proud moment with me. 

no_2

Linking up at

Making it for Monday @ Cottage Instinct

Motivate me Monday @ Keeping it Simple

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative

DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

Trash To Treasure Tuesday @ Reinvented

Get Your Craft On @ Today’s Creative Blog

Show and Share Day @ Just a Girl

Whatever goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

A Few of My Favorite Things Party

Feature Yourself Friday @ Fingerprints on the Fridge

Show and Tell @ The Romantic Home

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots and Jello

Best DIY Projects of March @ Beneath My Heart

My Chair was featured at:

inspre my saturday button

Inspire My Saturday

Keeping It Simple

Keeping it Simple

47 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job! I am so intimidated by this and don't think I have the guts to try it! The chair looks amazing - I love it with the toile pillow - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love it! It looks so much better. I love the color, so white and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job Tracy! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are brave. It turned out great. I have wanted to try that and I am just too chicken.
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I appreciate the tip on using old suitcases and making them look like a trunk. I looked at the ones you did. Love them.
    Anyway, thanks for the tip.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific job. That's one thing I have yet to tackle. I've always been afraid to upholster.. but you've given me the courage to at least TRY it on something! lol
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you did an awesome job!! I don't think I'd ever be able to tackel rehapulstering (see, I can't even spell it!). You did a great job. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! you did a great job! I'm going to tackle a slipcover soon... drop cloth. I already have a drop cloth that I use as a throw. After several washings it's getting softer.
    thanks for commenting on my corner bench!
    have a great week!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! I've been intimidated by reupholstering as well. Glad you went for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, next to repainting cabinets, this is very intimidating! You did a beautiful job!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, i would have been scared as well. i have a rocker sitting, taunting me. you did a fab job. it's a winner and i would gladly have it in my house. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This came out great! Love the accent pillow too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy crap, it turned out incredible! that chair has some great lines. i am impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tracy it looks beautiful! I love the contrast of the cording. I wish you could tell me how you did the seat cushion. That is one thing I need to learn to do.

    You have inspired me now! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You aren't giving yourself nearly enough credit. I can't believe you tackled that! It looks spectacular, and I love the pillow you have on it! SO well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is really good. You should be proud. I think that's the way to do it the first time. Not too much $$$ invested in the fabric. Now that you know how to do it, you can do another chair in another fabric. Do you have to take the old fabric off? Just wondering if it would be easier to upholster over the fabric that is already on there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a bright orange chair that is taunting me every time I walk by it! It has a matching footstool that calls me chicken as well. I have yet to touch it but know that I will eventually get around to it.

    I love the chair, especially with the 2nd pillow. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a fabulous job. I'm sister of the girl w/the orange chair above in the comments. : ) I love the neutral and the pillows are so different, but I love both looks.

    Congratulations on taking a chance on upholstery. You should be very proud. Now I should start on one of my many chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks great. I have two chairs that I got from Craigslist that are in need of reupholstering. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll have to send over a pic. of my after sometime.
    I'll be coming back to see all that you have done!
    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! what a great Job! I bet he has a happier face when he sees how much cheaper it is to DIY! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You did a great job with the chair! I've been wanting to recover something but I'm just too scared!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow... there is no way I could do that... you should be proud!

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AMAZING! I just recently finished a chair upholstery project myself...Using a drop cloth! Great minds think alike. I made sure that I washed the drop cloth about 6 times and dried it before I finally started the project because I thought it was scratchy too. You did a fabulous job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I am so impressed at the end result. Good work!

    Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bet if the lady at the shop saw it now she'd be crying! Looks great. I like the contrast of the taupe cording too...I think it looks good with the pillow in the chair. Either way, it's great and you did a super job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You should be so proud of yourelf! It looks great! So, is the drop cloth fabric just too scrtchy to sit on comfortably? Did you wash it? Was it stiff and difficult to work with? I'm asking, cause I may give it a try. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful transformation! And yes, your hubby looks delighted. LOL

    Love how it changes so much depending on what cushion is used. You're going to have a blast with this one!

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow great job. I am thinking of doing a chair in drop cloth fabric this week. You should be proud reupholstering is no easy task.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Awesome! You did such a great job, especially since you've never done it before. Reupholstering scares me too. Now I know it probably won't be so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is fantastic! I am going to include a link to this post in my Inspire My Saturday Post today. Thanks so much for sharing.

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks great! You did a good job! Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. tracy,
    you did a fantastic job! i have been sewing for over 40 years and i'm not so sure i would have tackled that project.
    i think the two tone w/cording makes a statement and gives it a more classic look. love the pillows too.

    i've read on other blogs that if you wash and dry the drop cloth before using it softens it up. but i still think the way you used it works well too.

    ~judi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, I'm so impressed!!! That looks great! That photo of your husband made me laugh out loud. He sure looks thrilled! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very impressive! You are so brave to tackle that and the results are spectacular - well done!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  34. I need you to come to my house for the motivation to reupholster.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic!!! WOW! What a project!! Stopping over from Traci's party!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love working on projects with my hubby... so nice of them to help us! :) I love your chair... it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i have one of these chairs to reupholster myself! your pictures have motivated me to get it done! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That looks fabulous! I can't believe it's your first one! I've got two chairs downstairs that are taunting me too. You may have just inspired me to finally tackle them.

    Autumn
    TheFickleHobbyist.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. You're a brave girl! I've upholstered ONE chair (and it was just the cane backing and the seat) and I don't think I'll ever do it again.

    BTW, I love it with the toile pillow the best! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. So great! I saw it earlier and I just love what you did. You made that chair so current. Love it!
    Thanks for linking up.
    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks great! You are much braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for sharing. You guys are so smart.
    Love it! cheers

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and I appreciate each and every one of them. Thanks for taking the time to drop me a line.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails